George Heriot's Hospital. Memories of a Modern Monk Being Reminiscences of Life in the Hospital. Edinburgh, E & S Livingstone, 1902.
GUNN, Clement, BLANC, Hippolyte, J; BEDFORD, F.W.
Edinburgh, E & S Livingstone, 1902. George Heriot's School is an independent primary and secondary school on Lauriston Place in the Old Town of Edinburgh, Scotland. It was established in 1628 as George Heriot's Hospital, by bequest of the royal goldsmith George Heriot, and opened in 1659. The main building of the school is notable for its renaissance architecture, the work of William Wallace, until his death in 1631. He was succeeded as master mason by William Aytoun, who was succeeded in turn by John Mylne. In 1676, Sir William Bruce drew up plans for the completion of Heriot's Hospital. His design, for the central tower of the north façade, was eventually executed in 1693. Original blue cloth boards with gilt title and decorative gilt title to front board. 211pp with tissue guarded frontispiece and 68 b/w etchings, drawings and photographs. Previous owner's signature and date within. Very Good condition. 285 x 230mm. Approx. 1.42kg in weight therefore shipping will cost more than ABE default setting. Bookseller Inventory # 000045